Pre-reading education for children:
First, the child goes through the stage of listening, in which his mind stores a linguistic vocabulary of what he hears in his surroundings, connects things to their names, learns to read facial expressions, but expresses himself only by crying and screaming. In an effective manner of communication, in the sense of attention to him and looking into his eyes, he mentioned everything in his surroundings by his proper name and natural tone.
Then comes the practice phase, in which the child is already aware of the relevance of most things to each other, but is still trying to use his skills to express his needs in a simple way, either with his limited spoken result acquired or sometimes by reference, it is a natural feature of this stage that the child utter some words with incorrect pronunciation Such as pointing and saying (tata) instead of (cat), in this case we don’t directly correct the child, and we say (her name is cat) or laugh at what he says, this may affect his confidence in his ability to express, but we can paraphrase what He wants to say in a correct sentence and say:
(You saw a cat), this also applies to the child giving one name to a group of related things, such as saying to all animals (cat), we do not correct it directly as well, but we turn talking to a mutual dialogue between us and the child, some parents They limit the use of new words and meanings with their young people, thinking that they will understand the speech only if it is very simple and limited, but the opposite is required.
The stage of practice follows the stage of cognition and the construction of sentences with two or three unrelated words, such as to say (played-cat) as an expression (I played with the cat), at this stage the child is consciously aware of the words he hears and pronounces, and is aware of the similarity of words. It is useful to play games such as trying to mention words of the same weight (road, deep, friend), or a game of collecting things that start with the same sound (fish, car, chain), memory games can also be used, such as asking the child to bring something specific from an adjacent room, His attempt to keep the word in his mind for as long as he can bring it develops his linguistic ability.
Gradually, the child arrives to express himself and reach the stage of fluency, with correct linguistic rules, sound pronunciation, and overlapping sentences.
Why you should teach reading to children at a young age
- Reading reinforces the relationship between the child and the parents, especially at the stage of the child’s discovery of the surrounding environment.
- It also helps the child get out of the boring routine, and stimulates the mind, which helps him to know the shapes and objects in his surroundings better.
- One of the main benefits of reading for children before they enter school is to motivate them to learn.
- Reading also contributes to the development of children’s imagination, and unleashes the perception of everything that is read to them.
- Children acquire skills to communicate with other people, so that the child is better able to express what is on his mind, and the use of new words and terms.
- Reading plays a big role in the education of children organization. When devoting certain times to reading, the child gets used to the principle of commitment and discipline in many things in his life.
- Reading gives children a sense of fun and happiness, which makes them spend time enjoying reading, preferring it over unhelpful games and watching TV.
- If your child has insomnia and difficulty sleeping, don’t hesitate to motivate him to read.
- Reading is more complicated than watching TV and other activities by a child. It helps to strengthen brain connections and builds new ones.
Mechanisms and how to teach reading to children:
- Keep reading for your child in bed before bed, and make it a daily routine, even if his age does not allow the full story to be realized. Words and their form.
- Make sure you start at a young age, using colorful and fun stories , so that it becomes a fun habit for the child, not just a skill he needs to acquire.
- If you want to teach the child the alphabet easily, sing traditional songs, or compose a special song for your child and sing with him every day to save them over time. Easy to learn to read.
- Use the signs and famous brands on the way, to teach the child the link between letters and words, it is easy for the child to remember the name of his favorite restaurant and read the sign easily once you see it, even if he could not read yet, and each time you can learn a new word on the road, and whenever you pass The same way, ask him what do you carry this sign?
- Use the educational cards, which carry one word and a picture of it, and start showing it to the child and leave it in front of him for several seconds, until the shape of the letters in his memory, and then after several times display the word only to remember the child alone, and this method stimulates the child’s visual memory, a method Good for learning to read.
- Use sound clips, which are also effective ways to learn to read, and is suitable for children over four years, and this method depends on the use of words that have similar sound clips, and then slow down during the pronunciation, so the child deduces that the words have the same pronunciation, and therefore the same letters : Carried and praised.
- Focus on making the child associate the shape of the letter and his voice, instead of clicking on it to learn the alphabets in order, linking the shape of the letter and his voice of the most important secrets to learn to read easily, and you can make a game using cards with the letters of the alphabet, and then start to pronounce the name of each letter and his voice, with Display his image to the child, and do not rely on the pronunciation of the name of the letter only by saying for example this «A», his knowledge of the sound of the letter is what makes him able to read easily, show the child a picture of the letter of the thousand, and tell him that this letter named A, and that has a distinctive voice Is «Aaaaaaa» If the child sees the letter in a word after that, he will remember the way he pronounce it in a For words, not just his name.
- If the child has a favorite book, repeat the same book every day with him.Don’t dictate it, because this method will make the letters and words more firm in his mind.At the tenth time, for example, ask him to read a small part of the story alone.
- Talk to your child using the correct pronunciation of the words.Mothers leave their children to pronounce the words wrong and repeat them with the same form, such as a kind of pampering or playing with young people and enjoy the way they laugh funny, but this unfortunately delays the process of reading the child words correctly, so you must correct Words that your child pronounces wrongly from the start in a playful way, so that you get used to the correct pronunciation.
- It is better to just start by teaching your child to read familiar words that he or she can pronounce well.
- Typing a large word in colored letters for your child in his room, then installing it on the wall is an important step during his journey to learn to read. The child expects the word through what he learned in the letters in advance, for example you can print the word «bell», then start teaching words start with the letter «gym» So he can link the shape of the gym and its pronunciation, and link it with the word on the wall, and repeat the matter with the rest of the letters of the word, and Kvae if he could solve the mystery, and recognize the word alone.
- Surrounding your child with colored books, fairy tales and drawing books that contain letters and numbers, and making them around him everywhere he sits at home, makes books a part of his daily life, which makes him curious to explore and browse the contents of these books, even if his age does not allow reading, memory Visual will help him to memorize letters, numbers and images.
- It is indispensable to take the time to go with your child to the nearest library, to practice manual activities and not to read, then take him on a tour between books to create a close relationship between them, and let him choose a story to read to him at night.
- Practice puzzles with simple words makes learning to read less difficult for children. For example, write a word that has been repeated in a book you are accustomed to, or choose a word from the educational cards and show it to him several times, then write them unordered or without a letter, and ask him to arrange the word, or search for the missing letter and so on.
- Ensuring that comic and speaking stories are available in their library is a great way to train your child to hear, and then read alone.
- If your child is going to kindergarten, put a note of one word inside the daily food box, preferably if it is words and letters that you practice to hear from you, such as: I love you, or a good boy, and so on. A new word in the school box.
- Let your children watch you as you read, too. This will motivate them to read, and get used to the presence of books at home, especially since children love to emulate parents in what they do.
- There is always time to read, even while you are bathing. »Thus, this method makes the vocabulary of the vocabulary great, which helps him to read later, and helps to increase his curiosity in trying to read the components of the preparations he uses and the signs and things that surround him.
Supportive tools in learning to read for children
1. Letters bags
A set of canvas or paper bags of similar shape, size and color, each with a letter of alphabets, placed inside each set of objects, beginning with the same sound of its own letter.
2. Letter boxes
Boxes containing alphabet letters made of wood, foam or plastic, used by the child to form words without the need to use a pen.
3. Simplified reading books
There are many books that help the child to graduate in reading on several levels, such as the series (I Read) of the BA edition.
4. The story of letters
There are those who prepare a story to tell children include all the characters as heroes of the story, and through it illustrates the qualities of each letter, or tell a story for each letter individually, and uses in the events of the story a lot of words that start with the same letter, and there are several chains available in libraries provide these stories, ready , Like my letter series from Dar Balsam.
5. The art of calligraphy
It is an art that specializes in beautifying and producing letters in a beautiful way. It can be used to associate the child with the letters. Art has a strong and effective role in teaching children reading. In case the child has not practiced writing yet, he can use wooden or plastic letters to form art formations. .
Mistakes to be avoided while teaching children to readers
When teaching reading to children we must bear in mind the possibility of alienation from them and not respond to them, which makes us aware of what went wrong to cause this aversion to the child, it can be a long time and reading a lot, which makes the feeling of boredom hangs over the child, and narrows A breath of reading.
If the terminology is complex and incomprehensible to the child during the stages of learning to read infiltrate the same child frustration, and will not repeat the experience again.
Add to that the monotony and routine in reading, relying on a deaf book only without storyboards and educational videos will increase the likelihood of alienating the child from reading, and not try again.